Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ceremony at Cap d'Ail

This was painted in 1994.

This is the dramatic scene I was talking about here took place in 1990…

Rinaldo and Darrio showed me everything from then on, asked the questions, looked at all the pages in the portfolio. They made an altar. The Spanish saint, the Italian angels, the tiles from Toledo, the candles in the evening, all dusted with his ashes. We ate salty fish, got happily drunk, then turned into Romans and pretended to understand pre-Rennaissance perspective and I painted the scene for them later, the dramatic scene with all of us in it from the evening of this morning, I am so very fortunate.

The urn was half-full.

The girl and the boy at the lower right are channeling Mozart for me and my friends.

Monsieur Bones claims today for the dead, ha ha. Or is it tomorrow? Every day belongs to at least seventeen saints in my book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very moving painting even withouit the story which is enigmatic, but it doesn't matter, it's still a very moving painting.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home